Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Where Do I Find Coupons?




Couponing 101
Where Can I Find Coupons?

In my opinion, finding coupons is the easy part. It's figuring out how to maximize your savings that's the hard part! The first thing that you are going to want to do is get a newspaper subscription. If you live in small town, check neighboring larger cities to see if their newspaper can be delivered to you. I recommend getting two Sunday news subscriptions. As you'll see later on, there will be many times where you will need two of the same coupon in order to get the best pricing per item. Personally, for my family of three, I usually purchase 4 newspapers per week. On occasion, if I know there is going to be a good deal on a product and I would like to stock up, I will purchase more than four that week. Don't worry! You're savings will greatly outweigh the cost of these subscriptions.

Okay, so you got your newspaper subscriptions. Next, you'll want spend some time on Facebook or other social media sites like Twitter. If you're like me and don't want to spam your friend's and family's feeds with your newly-found coupon addiction, feel free to start a separate account just for couponing. Once on the site, search for your favorite companies. Almost every major brand has a Facebook or Twitter account where they will host giveaways, sampling offers, and printable coupons. This will come in handy when you need to print a coupon that was not offered in your local Sunday paper.

I mentioned above that many companies give away free samples of their products. This is a great way to get coupons by mail as many of their samples do come with a coupon or two. Another great way to receive coupons is to directly email some of your favorite brands. When I first began couponing, I tried to email two or three companies a day. I would go to their website, find the “Contact Us” link and send them a short message saying how much I loved their product. Although I received a response from every company, I only received a coupon from a little more than half of them. However, eighty percent of the coupons that I did receive were for free items. These were great little bonuses to add to my grocery list that week. I do not recommend emailing the same company over and over. If you receive a coupon in the mail, I would wait several months before contacting them again. There are also several brands including Pillsbury and Proctor & Gamble who offer extra value coupons by their website or by their mailing list. I will talk more about this when we get into sampling and freebies so for now, let's stick with where to find coupons!

Another great source of coupons is internet printables. There are two main sites which have hundreds of coupons listed at any time. Www.SmartSource.com and www.coupons.com are going to be what you see most often when printing internet coupons. Besides having a printer, ink, and paper, there are a few things you will need to do before you able to print coupons. You will need to make sure that your Java is up to date and you will also need to install the website's coupon printer program. The first time you try to print coupons the website will tell you what you need to download and include the proper links. I recommend allowing pop-ups from the two sites listed above to insure everything is installed and set up correctly. You should now be set to start printing your coupons! Keep in mind that you are only allowed to print 2 coupons per computer.

There are also a few extra ways to get coupons. I've heard of several couponers “dumpster diving” for Sunday inserts. I have also heard of people volunteering to take the Sunday papers to the recycling company for hotels. Another way, is to purchase coupons from clipping services. This is a good way to get dozens of one coupon at a time. However, I have never tried either of these three methods so I am unable to give an honest opinion.


Now, you should be well on your way to building your coupon collection! It's time to organize!